Welcome to McKean Township
Recently, someone dumped items beside the Salvation Army dumpster located at our Municipal Building. The Salvation Army bin CLEARLY states clothes and shoes only. They were large items, and electronics. These things must be taken to their store location in Summit Township. Please do not dump unwanted items next to the Salvation Army bin, as this will result in others doing so and the removal of a much appreciated drop off location. Thank you.
ATTENTION POULTRY OWNERS!!!
A nationwide bird flu epidemic has devasted the poultry industry in major egg producing states, creating shortages and escalating prices. Although Pennsylvania has been lucky enough to skirt the outbreak, state officials believe it's only a matter of time before the disease surfaces here, and they're turning to township residents for help.
The Avian Influenza impacts farmers, food safety, and the citizen consumers. The Department of Agriculture has provided this information on the virus.
One of the most important things you can do to protect your birds is to follow good biosecurity. If you see signs of illness in your birds, report it immediately. Together, these actions will help keep HPAI from infecting new flocks:
- Sudden increase in bird deaths in your flock
- Sneezing, gasping for air, coughing, and nasal discharge
- Watery and green diarrhea
- Lack of energy and poor appetite
- Drop in egg production or soft or thin shelled, misshapen eggs
- Swelling around eyes, neck and head
- Purple discoloration of the wattels, comb, and legs
- Ruffled feathers, listlessness, lethargy
If you have a sick or dying birds, please report them to USDA or your State veterinarian right away!
USDA Toll-Free Number 1-866-536-7593
For more information please follow the links below